Monday, May 16, 2011

Schedule Changes!

Some of you may or may not know that my schedule has been really messed up this semester. I started with 4 courses, one of which was Real-Time. I switched CO 480 (History of Mathematics) for CS 456 (Networks), because history of math was really interesting, but a lot of work. I am currently sitting in on the course though. Steven Furino, the history professor, is a very interesting person to listen to.

Then I realized that taking 4, fourth year CS courses including RT was stupid. Some of my friends in RT were only taking 2-3 other classes, all bird-y like History of Film. When I realized that 4 CS courses was silly, I dropped Distributed.

Then the weekend came. RT A0 was due Monday, and I spent most of my spare time in the RT lab. This is after spending 5-10 hours in there per day since the first day of classes. >_<  I got most of A0 done, which was rewarding, I guess.

While Real-Time is very interesting and satisfying, the amount of work is unreal. It's sort of hard to convey. I suspect that it's more work than I did in all of first and second year combined. I could do the course, but I would have to give up literally everything else in my life, including other classes (and sleep!). I am also more interested in the material in my other courses (especially Networks/Distributed) than the Real-Time material. It  seemed weird that I would miss out of learning that material for a subject that I didn't really care about in the first place. I didn't think it was worth it, so I dropped Real-Time.

Instead of Real-Time, I decided to pick up Distributed (again) and UI. Unfortunately UI was full, so I only got into Distributed.

So my final schedule, after 2 weeks of shuffling and being on wait lists, is Architecture, Networks, and Distributed.

I would have liked to take 4 courses, but it feels sort of nice to take only 3. I will pretty much treat this as a summer vacation. :P I could use a break, and I'd like to have time to actually enjoy summer for the first time in 3 years. I also have REAP, so I'll still be busy enough, but after that week of real-time, my other course loads seem pretty light.

I am a little sad about dropping Real-Time, but I'm also very relieved. I will actually learn stuff in my other courses now, and enjoy my semester. I think that I made the right choice.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a sushi date with the Girl.

1 comment:

  1. Nice, I think it was the best decision you could have made at this point. I hear free time is great. You better be coming to Toronto more often now! :)

    ReplyDelete